Mount Lindesay Highway
Overview of Project
The contract was for the construction of new service roads alongside the Mt Lindesay Highway in the Munruben-Park Ridge South area. The Mount Lindesay Highway is the key transport corridor between Brisbane and Beaudesert.
The service roads were a precursor to the future four-laning of the Mt Lindesay Highway through this area by closing off all direct access to the highway from private properties and reorganising the flow of traffic between the highway and the local roads network.
In addition to the construction complexities, a single bridge and seven cell box culvert were to be constructed at Norris and Chambers Creeks. Both areas were identified as environmentally sensitive and therefore involve increased environmental risk depending on the time and/or activity.
Scope of Works
- Clearing, Grubbing and Topsoil Strip,
- Removal and demolition of various drainage structures,
- Removal and demolition of concrete kerb and channel,
- Installation of approximately 988 metres of pipe and box culverts,
- Installation of approximately 2,570 metres of subsoil drains,
- Construction of a two lane Service Road on the eastern side of Mount Lindesay Highway between Cooreen Road and Chambers Flat Road including a single bridge over Norris Creek,
- Construction of a two lane Service Road on the western side of Mount Lindesay Highway between Stoney Camp Road and Kensington Drive,
- Approximately 28,000m3 of road excavation and 32,500m3 of road embankment,
- Approximately 19,500m3 pavements,
- Approximately 3,700 tonnes of asphalt plus associated sealing works,
- Road signs and line marking,
- Some of the challenges met during construction of the Service Roads included the following,
- Construction of a seven cell box culvert in the environmentally sensitive Chambers Creek,
- Maintaining access to local residents throughout construction of the Service Roads,
- Achieving project timeframes despite the large volume of unsuitable materials present on site.
The project was completed well within the contractual timeframe and with all quality targets achieved.
A good working relationship was maintained throughout the contract between Neumann Contractors, the Department of Main Roads and the Local community.