The complete upgrade of Beenleigh-Redland Bay Road between Cairns Street and Bryants Road interchanges completes an important transport link between Redland Shire and the M1 Motorway.
The works include the full construction of a four-lane divided road, drainage and bikeway upgrades, route lighting and service road improvements.
Other works include:
- Existing services protection and relocation works
- Extensive landscape and irrigation systems installation
- Acid sulphate soils treatment and disposal
- Structural concrete works
A significant element of the Project is working in and adjacent to live traffic; with over 20 000 vehicle movements per day through the Project site, carefully planned staging of the works and temporary works installations were key in providing a safe and efficient work environment.
Scope of Work:
The scope of work included:
- Major drainage upgrades
- Deep flexible pavement construction
- Extensive lighting and communications upgrades for future works
- Specialised irrigation system installation and bikeway network upgrades
Two significant challenges for the Project were:
- Working in and around live traffic – public motorist and site personnel safety is paramount on the project, including the interface between access work areas and separating public traffic
- Community liaison and public interface – the complete length of the road upgrade has private and commercial property entrances requiring access through the work site; which means at numerous points construction works are interrupted by the requirement of providing all weather 24 hour access.
- Heavy vehicle detours, reduction in posted limits through the project site and extensive community consultation have proved effective measures; however the involvement of the local Police force enforcing speed radar traps and regularly patrolling through the work site has proven to be the most effective form of reinforcement.
- Extensive community consultation and monthly newsletters as well as seeking active involvement of affected resident and business owners in the planning and programming of potentially disruptive works has proven to be a successful endeavour, including a 24 hour 1300 number information service and website presence
The Beenleigh-Redland Bay Road Upgrade Project is a milestone project for the region, as it forms part of a successful entry for the Company into the specialised area of public sector and government infrastructure works.
Neumann Contractors construction of the Beenleigh-Redland Bay Road between Cairns Street and Bryants Road interchanges completes an important transport link between Redland Shire and the M1 Motorway.
This road upgrade ensures that the surrounding community and public at large will now have a safe and improved means of travel between the Redland Shire and the M1 Motorway for many years ahead.