Bribie Island Road Duplication
Overview of Project
The Bribie Island Road Project involved the construction of a new carriageway alongside the existing roadway.
An existing roundabout was converted into a controlled intersection. A second controlled intersection was also constructed.
Significant Earthworks, Drainage and Electrical work formed a substantial portion of the contract. Particular attention was paid to pre-planning and methodology for the Earthworks specification as the area for works was susceptible to inundation during wet seasons.
The contract required that all construction works be carried out without disrupting existing traffic flows. As a major arterial road for the Bribie Island and Caboolture region, the road was subject to over 20,000 vehicles per day. As such, significant emphasis was placed on Community Relations to prevent excessive traffic delays and allow for continual access to adjacent businesses and public facilities. The role of the Community Liaison officer was significant for the entirety of this period of work.
Scope of Works
The scope of work included:
- Cut to fill per specification,
- Clearing fauna and flora requirements to be observed,
- Importation of specific fill,
- CTB working platform,
- Deep lift Asphalt,
- Stringent Traffic Control and temporary lighting requirements,
- Retaining walls and fencing,
- Drainage includes significant amount of box culverts and Gully pits,
- Kerb and Channel,
- Concrete infill and footpaths,
- Deep lift Asphalt to 1.5m deep in areas,
- Electrical works including lighting, cameras and traffic lights.
- Weather – project commenced in January, and we experienced significant rainfall at the outset, given the low lying topography. The weather presented some substantial challenges whilst successfully managing our environmental obligations.
- Traffic Management ensuring safe and efficient layouts to minimise disruption.
- Night shift – much of the work through the intersections was carried out at night.
- Perfected use of electronic survey control systems,
- A good relationship with the Project Manager stimulated ongoing discussion regarding methodology and planning to obtain a quality outcome.
Neumann Contractors completed the project within the allotted time frame (even with significant additional work at no extension of time requested).
The client and Project Manager were pleased with how Neumann Contractors ran this project, with an overall positive response from the community.