Wynnum Road Widening Project
Overview of Project
The widening of Wynnum Road was required to help cater for the high volumes of traffic and peak-hour commuters that pass through the Wynnum/Preston/Randall Road roundabout each day.
The works zone included various commercial outlets, a mix of residential properties and a school. These aspects were to be taken into consideration whilst completing the project.
The works included:
- Roadworks and Drainage,
- Street lighting and signals,
- Property reinstatement,
- Retaining Walls and Driveways,
- Services relocation and management.
The immediate surrounding of the project included a number of regional shopping destinations, particularly a range of takeaway stores and a large shopping centre. These outlets all contribute to the high volumes of traffic travelling through the project area on a daily basis.
Scope of Works
The scope of work included:
- 1.5km read reconstruction,
- Installation of two sets of traffic lights,
- Removal of roundabout,
- Traffic Control,
- Clearing and grubbing,
- Relocation of services,
- Drainage and construction,
- Bulk and detailed earthworks construction,
- Construction of pavement,
- Supply and installation of road furniture, signage and linemarking,
- Supply and installation of signals.
- Working in and around live traffic, ensuring that some form of stability and normality is maintained for local motorists, residents, pedestrians and school traffic throughout the duration of the works.
- Minimal disruption to local residents – agreed haulage routes were enforced and use of suburban roads was discouraged.
This Neumann Contractors’ major project has allowed the suburbs of Wynnum and Manly to have greater access to the Brisbane CBD. The widening of Wynnum Road at this vital intersection has enabled traffic to flow more easily with less congestion and disruption to the local community.