Broadwater Parklands - Channel Maintenance Dredging & Reclamation Works
Overview of Project
The Gold Coast City Council and the Gold Coast Waterways Authority engaged Neumann Dredging to complete the dredging and reclamation works for the Broadwater Parklands Stage 3.
Scope of Works
The Broadwater Parklands Stage 3 is a continuation of the master plan vision for the Broadwater Parklands, with the reclamation of additional land to the north of the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre at Southport.
The dredging works involved the dredging of approximately 100,000m3 from the Labrador Channel, Ray Newlyn Channel, Howards Access Channel, Loders Creek and basin area.
The Broadwater Parklands Stage 3 area required placing approximately 100,000m3 of sand to reclaim almost 3ha of land.
- Maintaining safe navigational access for all boating traffic in this very popular and busy recreational waterway,
- Dredging of hard indurated sands,
- Strict environmental guidelines,
- Pumping material up to 1,800m to the reclamation area,
- Construction of rock revetment wall,
- Many blockages from obstacles within the dredge areas
- Managing the reclamation area materials, settlement ponds, & return water,
- Interfacing the reclamation works with the civil works by JFM Civil Contracting.
The dredging operation involved the use of the cutter suction dredges, Nu-Compact and Nu-Enterprise.